Your health and that of our SCBWI-IL community is important to us! As we are sure most of you have heard by now, the Novel CoronaVirus has recently emerged in small but growing numbers in the U.S. While only a handful of cases have been reported in Illinois at this time, we know that could change any day. Therefore, we are taking great care in prevention!
Please review the following precautions for in-person Networks and other events—with your help we’ll keep our SCBWI-IL and wider community healthy. We are following the advice of SCBWI and the Center for Disease Control. Accordingly, we will ask that those attending our conference and local events:
– Wash hands upon entering the venue, both before and after eating or drinking, after sneezing, blowing your nose, and at any other time you consider appropriate. The CDC recommends drying hands with disposable paper towels rather than using a blower.
– Take frequent advantage of hand sanitizing items provided.
– Utilize wipes available at the event to sanitize your phone, other items in your possession which you might place on a table or chair which can be wiped off, and the tables and chairs where you sit.
– Avoid shaking hands. Elbow bumping is encouraged and there are many other alternatives to shaking hands. We look forward to the many friendly ways you find to greet each other without touching!
– If you or someone in your household has returned in the last 14 days prior to the event from travel to an outbreak area, please do not come to the event. If applicable, attendance fees will be refunded in accordance with the SCBWI policy change, below:
– During this period of public health concerns, SCBWI has modified its cancellation/refund policy as follows: If you or a member of your family are or have been sick and you therefore cannot attend the event, you may request a full attendance fee refund up until the day of the event so that you can stay home, take care of yourself and your family, and prevent the spread of illness. If you or a member of your family has a condition which compromises their immunity defenses, you may also request a refund should you choose to stay home. Please contact the event Registrar if you have questions about this change in policy or need to cancel and request a refund.
– Be aware of the potential closure of the public places in which Networks and other events meet.
– Check SCBWI-IL event pages frequently for updates. Your SCBWI-IL Network Representatives, event planners and Regional Teams will post on Google Groups, event pages and social media forums if an event has been changed, rescheduled, cancelled or made into a virtual meeting.
We will continue to monitor this health situation closely and update this page with any changes! Self-care and your cooperation in ensuring the health and welfare of your fellow attendees is appreciated—be well!
Your Illinois Regional Team and Volunteers